Frequently Asked Questions
- How many tickets are available for sale?
Dream Lottery: There are 295,000 tickets available for sale.
50/50 Plus Lottery: There are 482,000 tickets available for sale.
Big Passport Plus Game: There are 90,000 tickets available for sale.
- How much do tickets cost?
Dream Lottery: 3packs for $100, 6packs for $175, 9packs for $250 and 20packs for $500.
50/50 Plus Lottery: 2packs for $15, 6packs for $30, and 16packs for $60.
Big Passport Plus Game: Single ticket for $20 and 3packs for $40.
- How can I obtain a winners’ list?
A complete searchable winner’s database will be available on this webpage on or before November 17, 2017. A list of major winners will also be published in The Province Newspaper on November 17, 2017.
- What are the odds of winning?
Dream Lottery: Chances are 1 in 295,000 (total tickets for sale) to win a grand prize. Actual odds depend on number of tickets sold. All inquiries, if any, on the odds of winning, are to be made to the licensee prior to the purchase of ticket(s).
50/50 Plus: Odds of winning the 50/50 prize will depend on the number of tickets sold.
Big Passport Plus Game: Chances are 1 in 90,000 (total tickets for sale) to win the main prize. Actual odds depend on number of tickets sold.
- What is the 50/50 plus prize
50/50 Plus maximum prize payout may be $1,140,000, however the 50/50 Plus prize is dependent on the number of tickets sold.
- What happens if a bad payment is received?
If your cheque is returned to us by the bank or if a credit card payment is charged back you will be contacted by MNP LLP and given an opportunity to provide replacement payment within two business days. Any tickets issued will be considered invalid until replacement payment is received.
- How old do you have to be to purchase a ticket?
Purchasers must be at least 19 years of age. If a winning ticket bears a minor’s name, the prize will be lawfully delivered on behalf of the minor to the minor’s parent, legal guardian or trustee.
- Can Dream Lottery tickets be ordered online?
Yes. The rules governing British Columbia Charitable Lotteries allow for online ticket order taking.
- Ticket purchasers must be physically in the province of BC when placing the order;
- They must be residents of BC; and,
- The address given for tickets to be mailed to must be a valid BC address.
Non-residents of British Columbia cannot purchase tickets by phone, fax, mail, or over the Internet.
- Can I purchase tickets if I am not a resident of British Columbia?
Yes, but there are certain restrictions and conditions which must be met.
Tickets must be purchased at a retail sales outlet (London Drugs, Save-On Foods, PriceSmart Food, Overwaitea Foods, Urban Affair, BC Children’s Hospital or one of the prize homes that is open and selling tickets.
The lottery is intended for BC residents. Ticket buyers must be in British Columbia at the time of purchase. A non-resident of British Columbia may purchase a ticket if the entire payment transaction takes place while the person is physically in British Columbia and if the ticket or a receipt is issued at that time. Tickets can be mailed to addresses outside the province of British Columbia.
A non-resident of British Columbia cannot purchase a ticket via the Internet, by phone, by fax or by mail but must purchase at a retail sales outlet only.
Tickets or receipts can not be distributed to, mailed or otherwise sent to a non-residents third-party address in British Columbia.
- Are there any restrictions on a BC resident buying tickets?
A resident of British Columbia may purchase a ticket only if the entire payment transaction takes place while the person is physically in British Columbia and if the ticket or a receipt is issued at that time. When a resident of British Columbia is outside the province of British Columbia they may not place an order to purchase tickets. This restriction includes all methods of ordering tickets, including mailing in your order.
For further information on restrictions on purchasing, please see Standard Procedures for Ticket Raffles, Gaming Policy and enforcement Branch, Province of British Columbia. The website for information is www.gaming.gov.bc.ca/licences/docs/procedures-ticket-raffle-pdf. Please see Section 9 for specific details on purchasing restrictions.
- How many prizes will be awarded?
Dream Lottery: 3,108 prizes will be awarded
50/50 Plus: 1 prize will be awarded. (The money received in ticket sales will be divided equally between the winner and the charity)
Big Passport Plus Game: 91 prizes will be awarded.
- What is the total prize value?
Dream Lottery: Approximately $3,548,156 based on MSRP as provided by our suppliers and includes related taxes.
50/50 Plus: The prize will be based on 50% of the total sales proceeds for the 50/50 Plus tickets.
Big Passport Plus Game: Approximately $305,000 based on MSRP as provided by our suppliers and includes related taxes.
- Is my ticket purchase tax deductible?
No, lottery tickets are not tax deductible; even though proceeds support a charitable cause.
- Where do the proceeds from the Dream Lottery go?
The proceeds from the BC Children’s Dream Lottery support the funding of ground-breaking research at BC Children’s Hospital into the prevention, treatment and cure of childhood illnesses.
- If I win the Appreciation Reward Draw, Summer Reward Draw, Fall Reward Draw, or the Early Bird Draw, do I still qualify for the other prize draws including the Grand Prize?
Yes, after each draw the winner is recorded and the ticket number then goes back in for every prize category. Tickets must be purchased before the designated cut-off dates to be eligible for a prize.
- What if I lose my ticket?
You do not need your ticket to claim your prize. Your name, address, and phone number are recorded in the database along with your ticket number. If you would like a replacement ticket, you can call 604-536-2491 or toll free 1-866-636-2491 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do I have to pay tax on any winnings?
Lottery winnings are considered a windfall and not taxable in Canada.
We respect your privacy. BC Children’s Hospital Foundation protects personal information and adheres to all legislative requirements with respect to privacy.
We do not rent, sell, or trade our mailing lists. Information provided through ticket purchase will be used to deliver services and keep you informed on Foundation activities, including programs, services, and special events, funding needs, opportunities to volunteer or give and more, through periodic contacts.
To be removed from these contacts, call (604) 536-2491 or 1-866-636-2491 or email email@example.com.
- Can I request a specific ticket number?
No. Ticket numbers are computer-generated in ascending order starting at a pre-determined number.
- Can I purchase tickets in multiple names?
Yes, although one person will be designated as the primary purchaser and will be responsible for distributing the winnings between the multiple purchasers. The licensee is not responsible for distributing winnings or resolving disputes between ticket purchasers.
- How long do I have to claim my prize?
Prizes must be claimed within twelve (12) months of the Final Draw.
The Grand Prize winner must decide on which option they are taking within 10 days of being awarded the prize.
- How will I know if I have won a prize?
The primary ticket purchaser will be notified by phone and/or mail by the BC Children’s Hospital Foundation as to what they have won and where/how to claim their prize(s). Prize winners will be published in The Province Newspaper on November 17, 2017. A complete list of winners will also be posted online on the same date at www.bcchildren.com.
- How long does it take to receive my ticket?
You should receive your ticket in approximately 2 – 3 weeks after the order is placed. If you do not receive your ticket(s) within 2 – 3 weeks, you should call 604-536-2491 or 1-866-636-2491 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or for re-issue.
- When are the deadlines for ticket sales?
Appreciation Reward Deadline
Midnight August 17, 2017
Summer Reward Deadline
Midnight August 31, 2017
Fall Reward Deadline
Midnight September 14, 2017
Early Bird Deadline
Midnight October 5, 2017
Final Sales Deadline (all three lotteries)
Midnight October 13, 2017
- How can I be sure my tickets are in the draw?
The professional services firm, MNP LLP, ensures that all paid tickets are in the draw.
- Will my name be publicized if I am a winner?
Yes, all winners’ names are publicized as part of the winners list.
- How are the prizes awarded?
Dream Lottery: All Prizes are drawn manually from a barrel in order of ascending value. Each ticket is re-entered for every prize category
50/50 Plus: The 50/50 winner is drawn manually from a barrel
Big Passport Plus Game: All prizes are drawn manually form a barrel for each specific day. Each ticket is re-entered for each daily draw.
**Separate barrels are used for each of the Dream Lottery, the 50/50 Plus Lottery and the Big Passport Plus Game.
- What are the guidelines for buying tickets?
- Purchase by phone, fax, mail, online or in person at the prize homes, London Drugs, Save-On Foods, Price Smart Foods, Overwaitea Foods, Urban Fare, or the BC Children’s Hospital.
- One method of payment only for phone, fax and web orders.
- Credit Cards accepted are Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- Mail in purchases can be made by Credit Card, Cheque or Money Order.
- London Drugs will not accept Personalized Cheques, but they will accept Money Orders (made out to London Drugs Limited), Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Cash.
- Save-On Foods, Price Smart Foods, Overwaitea Foods and Urban Fare will not accept Personalized Cheques, but they will accept Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Cash.
- The prize homes will accept Personalized Cheques as well as Money Orders (made out to Dream Lottery), Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Cash.
- The sales kiosk at the Hospital will accept Personalized Cheques, Money Orders (made out to Dream Lottery), Cash, and Credit Cards. Debit Cards may or may not be accepted.
- All Cheques should be made payable to Dream Lottery.
- All 3pack, 6pack, 9pack, or 20packs must contain the same purchaser’s information and will be mailed to the primary ticket holder.
50/50 Plus Lottery
- 50/50 Plus orders will not be accepted without the purchase of a Dream Lottery 3pack, 6pack, 9pack, or 20pack.
- Each 50/50 Plus Lottery ticket must contain the same customer information as the Dream Lottery 3pack, 6pack, 9pack or 20pack it was sold with.
- A ticket purchaser must purchase a Dream Lottery 2017 ticket to be eligible to purchase 50/50 Plus Lottery tickets
Big Passport Plus Game
- Big Passport Plus orders will not be accepted without the purchase of a Dream Lottery 3pack, 6pack, 9pack, or 20pack.
- Each Big Passport Plus Game ticket must contain the same customer information as the Dream Lottery 3pack, 6pack, 9pack or 20pack it was sold with.
- A ticket purchaser must purchase a Dream Lottery 2017 ticket to be eligible to purchase Big Passport Plus Game tickets.